Here at Plaza Vision Center, we place a strong emphasis on routine or wellness eye exams. A comprehensive eye exam covers a lot and plays a major role in your overall health, including checking for signs of diseases like diabetes and hypertension, as well as eye conditions such as glaucoma or cataracts. If signs of these conditions are found, our doctors of optometry make sure you have proper treatment available to you.
On average, we recommend scheduling an appointment once every two years to ensure your eyes are remaining healthy. If you have been diagnosed with an eye condition; however, we recommend scheduling an appointment once or twice a year depending on the severity.
During your appointment, we will review your patient history, visual acuity, perform preliminary tests, and evaluate your eyes’ overall health.
How Contact Lens Exams Are Different
Contact lens exams take things a bit further. The doctors will assess contact lenses to ensure:
- healthy eyes wearing contacts (no infection, dryness, over wear, or irritation)
- well aligned & sized lenses that fit well for comfortable contact lens wear
- clear vision by performing a power check
Types of Contacts Available
There are many different types of contacts, which is why we at Plaza Vision Center in Dallas perform a thorough contact lens exam to help determine what type of lenses are suitable to your eyes and lifestyle. Many patients want freedom from glasses in general. For sports and outdoor activities, we look to add UV protection on the lenses. For long hours on computer, we may aim to optimize comfort and moisture.
- Wearing reading glasses over your contact lenses? Multifocal lenses have both distance and near powers to increase your range of functional vision. It can help those who dislike always needing to carry around reading glasses.
- A toric lens with varying levels of power will help correct astigmatism.
- Cosmetic lenses provide colors or special effects whether vision correction is needed or not.
Contact lenses can be organized into different wearing modalities or how they are worn. They are available in daily wear, disposables, and extended wear.
- Daily disposables are worn once and then discarded. These are the healthiest option as you get a fresh new pair every day, do not have to worry
about cleaning solutions, and are very comfortable because they are usually thinner.
- Daily wear lenses are worn for the day and removed for disinfection at night. These lenses are designed for bi-weekly or monthly replacement.
- Extended wear can be worn for several days or even weeks by some people before it is time for a new pair. Not all eyes have the ability to wear these.
Hard to fit Contact Lenses
Some eyes are more complex than a nearsighted or farsighted prescription. Whether from past trauma, infections, or surgeries, the standard contact lens does not provide adequate vision correction. We offer custom soft and gas-permeable contact lenses (hybrids, small diameter gas-permeable contact lenses, sclerals) to address those issues.