Dr. Chen has the interest of eye care and “I care” to optimize his patient’s vision.
Dr. Jonathan Chen was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia. He graduated from the University of Georgia with a B.S. in Science & Psychology.
He then attended the University of Houston College of Optometry (UHCO). During that time, he completed externship rotations at the Albuquerque VA Hospital and at Plaza Vision Center with our very own Dr. Newman. He graduated summa cum laude with his Doctor of Optometry degree in 2018.
While in optometry school, Dr. Chen enjoyed being involved in numerous student organizations helping the community.
- As president of the Student Volunteer Optometric Services for Humanity (SVOSH), he led in an increase in the organization’s vision screenings.
- He held leadership positions in the NOSA (National Optometric Student Association), SPHVCA (Student Public Health Vision Care Association), and HGHC (Houston Global Health Collaborative Grant Steering Committee).
- Dr. Chen felt very fortunate to be involved in a mission trip to the Texas VOSH/Rotary-sponsored Guerrero clinic to help provide care for the residents of Chihuahua, Mexico.
He also earned various awards and achievements at UHCO including the Excellence in Contact Lens Patient Care, Public Health Leadership award, and Georgia Optometric Association Allan V. Wexler Memorial scholarship. He was inducted into the Golden Key Society for distinguished student leaders in optometry.
Dr. Chen proceeded to further his education and received advanced training in specialty contact lenses, completing a Cornea and Contact Lens Residency at the University of Missouri – St. Louis in 2019. During residency, he had the opportunity to lecture in the field of specialty contact lenses and myopia management, present a number of case posters at national optometry conferences, and co-authored an article for a contact lens publication.
Shortly after residency, he became a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry as well as the Scleral Lens Education Society.
Dr. Chen aims to provide care for all his patients’ eye health needs, from LASIK consultations to ocular disease management. His interests include:
- myopia management
- dry eye management
- anterior segment disease (keratoconus, pellucid marginal disease, corneal scars, corneal transplants)
- specialty contact lenses, including orthokeratology (corneal molding, CRT)
Dr. Chen enjoys tennis, hiking, photography, traveling, and exploring more of the Dallas community! Interested in the Dallas food scene and various cuisines, he does feel the BBQ in Texas is the best.